Skip to main content

Social Media Isn’t Real Life

There were over 12,000 counselling sessions with young people who spoke to Child line about online issues last year’

Every single day I go on social media and witness the same quotes, the same opinions and the same stories. The first thing most of us do, [well I personally do anyway] when we wake up is check our phones, phones are life and death for some of us and it definitely shouldn’t be like this.

 Social media corrupts the mind of us all, it encourages us to think a certain way and act a certain way, it makes us believe that if you’re not doing recognised things you’re not ‘ cool ‘ enough or you’re not living the right lifestyle. Who seriously makes these rules? There is so much pressure especially on young people today to obtain a certain image. Why Is it even a thing for young boys ages 16-21 to be financially stable ? We are made to think that this is the norm however that male posting consistent pictures in designer wear can NOT afford it, don’t be fooled by social media.

It’s quite hilarious but yet pathetic to think people won’t do or speak on something because twitter says you shouldn’t. The stereotype that men can’t show emotion is the same reason suicide rates for boys are the highest among us, because we’re born into a digital world where showing emotion is a sign of weakness and being slim thick is the definition of beautiful. You honestly can’t expect everyone to look a certain way, no one is going to look like the celebrities in the media your efforts of trying will be futile, even the celebrities don’t look like themselves nowadays ever heard of Photoshop? Speaking of Photoshop I’m completely shocked that girls feel the need to start photo shopping their pictures to live up to the expectations of what society deems as beautiful. Beautiful is subjective to everyone there is no set way to look, appreciate what God has given you and practice self love instead.

I myself have probably been guilty at one point of this but I’ve been wondering about a few things, why do we feel the absolute need to snap chat everything? An example of this is a holiday, You’re on holiday for yourself, enjoy it in the moment not behind a screen, people enjoy the attention of their posts more than the experience itself, surely that’s not how we should live life.


Ask yourself do you post on social media for yourself or for the approval of others?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Black History Month!

'Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and hope of the slave' - Maya Angelou  As black history month comes to an end I decided to do my first blog on just that. My memories of black history month growing up was absolutely ridiculous. It was basically non existent, we never once learnt about black history in all my years of education, it wasn’t made a big fuss over or any fuss at all. I believe that the learning of black history is momentous especially for the younger generation, they should grow up with knowing issues that were faced in the past. It is important in order for people to not grow up ignorant about the past and present. What makes the government think learning about Henry the Vlll and Margaret Thatcher is more important than learning about Ruby bridges. This is probably even the first time you’ve heard her name, the educational system is ethnocentric.Who’s really been to a school where learning about the culture and history of blacks w...

Is The Term ‘People of Colour’ A Thing?

Hey!!! Welcome to my travel journal, or travel blog, or whatever you wanna call it. I decided to do something different on my blog site and document my experiences abroad. I’m gonna be telling you guys about different things that I’ve learnt, places I’ve been to, food to try out etc in which I think would be a cool places to go & things try out if you travel to that specific country! California, Los Angeles    Friday the 31st of October 2019  - I was chilling with my friend and we were speaking about many different things. He’s Latino. Half Mexican & half Salvadorean and tbh (to be honest) before I moved to Cali I had never even heard of Salvador before! Me being nosey & interested in finding out things I don’t know, he begins to enlighten me about his culture and colonisation of the now Mexico.  We spoke about colorism within the Latino community, him being a ‘light skin Mexican‘ he feels pushed out by the Mexican community because he’s not ‘brown eno...