Skip to main content

Happy Black History Month!

'Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and hope of the slave' - Maya Angelou 

As black history month comes to an end I decided to do my first blog on just that.
My memories of black history month growing up was absolutely ridiculous. It was basically non existent, we never once learnt about black history in all my years of education, it wasn’t made a big fuss over or any fuss at all. I believe that the learning of black history is momentous especially for the younger generation, they should grow up with knowing issues that were faced in the past.
It is important in order for people to not grow up ignorant about the past and present. What makes the government think learning about Henry the Vlll and Margaret Thatcher is more important than learning about Ruby bridges. This is probably even the first time you’ve heard her name, the educational system is ethnocentric.Who’s really been to a school where learning about the culture and history of blacks was a principle.
Let me name you a few influential people in black history that the minority of you may or may not know about;
Jack Johnson became the first African-American man to hold the World Heavyweight Champion boxing title in 1908.
John Langston was the first black man to become a lawyer in Ohio.
Did you know the three signal traffic light was created by a black person? Or did you know that Marie Brittan Brown was a black nurse whom created the first home security system?  A black person created the first dust pan, iron, refrigerator, mop.
There are numerous amount of things that a black person has made which we use on a day to day basis but who would have known?
For the fact that we’ve had the first black president in history does not mean society is moving forward. We live in a world where people regardless of age are being shot in cold blood because of their race, is this the supposedly freedom we have. we’re brain washed and socialised into believing were free just because there’s no chains and whips does not mean we’re not still enslaved because of skin.
Early last week Snapchat comedian 'Stevo The Mad Man' put on Instagram a very controversial question ‘ should white people be able to say the word nigga if it’s a song’ reading the comments under these posts just baffled me, I saw the most ignorant and insensitive things it was absolutely ridiculous. Why is it that white people not being able to say the word nigga is a problem?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7/365

Happy New Year Guys! Here’s a quick blog to start of the New Year! I’m super excited for 2019 and what I’ve come to terms with is that you just gotta go for everythingg you want, like legit just do it. I’ve made a list of goals for this year and I’m very determined to complete every single goal. This year is a year of accomplishing everything you put your mind to and everything you want to achieve. When we procrastinate, when we spend time being scared of chasing dreams and trying new things the only person suffering from that is ourselves and why would we wanna deprive ourselves from living a better life. When you have a vision and goal of what you want to do you literally just have to get up and go for it, God doesn’t give us a vision for no reason and he didn’t put the spirit of fear in us either so what are we actually waiting for. Join the gym, get your drivers license, start that YouTube channel, start that hobby. The longer we wait the lazier we get with it. No ones going ...

Is The Term ‘People of Colour’ A Thing?

Hey!!! Welcome to my travel journal, or travel blog, or whatever you wanna call it. I decided to do something different on my blog site and document my experiences abroad. I’m gonna be telling you guys about different things that I’ve learnt, places I’ve been to, food to try out etc in which I think would be a cool places to go & things try out if you travel to that specific country! California, Los Angeles    Friday the 31st of October 2019  - I was chilling with my friend and we were speaking about many different things. He’s Latino. Half Mexican & half Salvadorean and tbh (to be honest) before I moved to Cali I had never even heard of Salvador before! Me being nosey & interested in finding out things I don’t know, he begins to enlighten me about his culture and colonisation of the now Mexico.  We spoke about colorism within the Latino community, him being a ‘light skin Mexican‘ he feels pushed out by the Mexican community because he’s not ‘brown eno...